7 Steps To Make Restaurant-quality Salad
Have you noticed that every time you get a salad from a restaurant, it tastes a little more special? The lovely crunch, the flavoursome dressing which enhances every bite. Well, there are a few secrets on making the perfect salad that I’d like to share with you:
1. Make Your Own Salad Dressing
Fresh ingredients give the dressing that extra punch that you won’t find in the bottle. The classic ratio for homemade salad dressing is three parts oil and one part vinegar. To keep it emulsified, you can mix in mustard or honey. For extra flavour add chilli flakes, shallots and herbs.
2. Season your Greens
Seasoning is not just for meat, chefs add a pinch of salt and pepper to bring out the flavours of the salad.
3. Use a Mix of Greens for Varied Texture and Flavour
Romaine and iceberg lettuce gives the salad a delicious crunch, while watercress and arugula add a peppery bite.
4. Mix in fresh herbsSalad is not just about lettuce - they are a perfect place to use your much-loved herbs - cilantro, parsley, basil - whatever floats your boat.
5. There is a world beyond lettuce
Try a combination of other vegetables, fresh and dried fruit, nuts, cooked grains and bread.
6. Add some fats
Don't be afraid of mixing fats with your salad - fats equals flavour. You can add dressings, avocado, toast nuts, bacon, smoked salmon or cheese.
7. Leave salad dressing to the side
You greens slowly wilt as you add salad dressing. So make sure you wait just before you eat the salad to avoid it going soggy. Add a little at a time.=