African Fish Stew
"Fish Stew – tasty white fish stew oozing with rich tomato sauce and earthy flavours"
This is a light meal that is quick and easy to whip up and can be customized easily according to preference.
PREP: 10 MINS
COOK: 30 MINS
- ¼ cup(60ml) canola oil. (adjust with more or less)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) minced ginger.
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 8 ounce (227grams) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3-4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1-2 teaspoon bouillon powder optional
- 3 pounds(1.4kg) white fish cut up in steaks
- 1 medium bell pepper sliced
- 7 -8 Thai basil Leaves (sub with any variety)
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- Wash the fish carefully, drain, and pat dry with paper towels or a clean towel.
- Heat the oil in the medium saucepan; add the onion, sauté for about a minute.
- Then add minced garlic, ginger, thyme, paprika and curry powder. Sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce, white pepper and bouillon powder. Stir for about a minute and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Add about 3 cups of water season with salt according to preference and stir.
- Add fish steaks, bell pepper and basil; one at a time. Simmer until the fish is flaky and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Adjust the thickness of soup with water, salt and more spices. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm
- Serve over wholewheat couscous or white rice