Kenyan Chicken Curry
"Kenyan cooking is a fusion of East African and Middle Eastern methods. This curry has lovely depth"
A different type of curry... This curry dish is infused with unique African aromas
PREP: 15 MINS
COOK: 35 MINS
SERVES: 6 People
- 8 cm ginger fresh grated
- 6 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 1 kg (fillets) chicken thighs cut into pieces large
- 3 brown onion large roughly chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground fenugreek seeds
- 800 g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 fresh long green chilli finely chopped
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup coriander roughly chopped
- Combine half the ginger, half the garlic, half the turmeric, half the juice and half the oil in a large bowl with all the cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, paprika, chilli flakes and yoghurt.
- Add chicken and coat in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 240C or 220C fan-forced.
- Cook chicken in a lightly oiled medium shallow flameproof baking dish, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan and cook onion, chilli powder, fenugreek, remaining ginger, garlic and turmeric.
- Stir until onion softens.
- Add undrained tomatoes, cinnamon, green chilli and remaining juice.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes. Stir in cream and honey. Simmer, uncovered for 1 minute.
- Add chicken to curry and simmer about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in fresh coriander.