Vegeterian Stewed Peas
COOK: 40-50 MINS
- 100g Plain flour (sifted)
- 50 - 120ml cold water
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 250g dried kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 4g vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp crushed pimento berries
- 400ml low fat coconut milk
- 15g garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g white onion, chopped
- 3g sprigs of thyme
- 25g spring onions, chopped
- 100g carrots, diced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (leave whole)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add the flour to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add water a little at a time and knead to form a firm dough.
- Leave your dough to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into small pieces, roll in your palm to make into a cigar shape.
- Set your spinners aside.
- Wash the soaked beans until the water runs clear.
- Add the beans to a large pot with 800 - 1000 ml water. Add crushed pimento berries and vegetable stock cube. Cover and boil on medium heat for 30 - 40 mins or until beans are cooked.
- Add the coconut milk, garlic, onion, thyme, spring onion, carrot, scotch bonnet pepper. Add additional water (up to 300 - 500 ml water) depending on how thick you want your stew to be.
- Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the spinners. Cover and cook on medium to low heat until the liquid reduces and the sauce thickens to your desired consistency.
- Remove the scotch bonnet pepper and thyme before serving.
- Serve with boiled rice.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING:
Energy: 383 kcal, Fat: 8.9g, Saturated fat: 6.5g, Carbohydrate: 51g, (of which sugars) = 6.8g, Fibre: 13g, Protein: 18g, Salt: 1.1g
ALLERGENS: Celery, Gluten
ESTIMATED COST PER SERVING: £2.50
- If using pigtails or salted beef, be sure to soak adequately and avoid extra salt when cooking.
- This dish can be eaten on its own (without rice) as a hearty soup.
- For convenience tinned beans can be used, these will require less cooking time.