The Best Trinidad Style Fry Bake
"A popular Trinidadian pocket sandwich is found at beach shacks and street stalls throughout the island"
This Trinidadian delicacy has a variety of go-withs, from mango chutney to sliced cucumbers.
This dish is best served with either Shark to make the legendary Shark and Bake or Saltfish.
Make this lovely sandwich:
Make this lovely sandwich:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine- this is totally optional
- 1 cup water, plus 1 tablespoon if needed
- 2 cups canola or coconut oil for frying the bakes
- Assorted condiments, such as mango chutney, honey mustard, garlic mayonnaise, thinly sliced onion, thinly sliced cucumbers, and hot pepper sauce
- Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and mix with a fork or use your fingers until the flour resembles coarse breadcrumbs
- Make a hole or well in the center of the flour and start pouring 3/4 cup water while mixing and stirring in a circular motion.
- Dough should begin to resemble really coarse crumbs at this stage
- Add 1/4 cup more water and continue mixing gently for about 5 minutes until you form a nice soft dough.
- If dough is too sticky, dust with a tablespoon of flour, if dough is too dry after adding all the water, add another one tablespoon or so of water and bring the dough together.
- Allow to rest for about 3-5 minutes, then dust with flour and knead to form a smoother dough.
- Rub some oil on top of dough and allow the dough to rest for 25 - 30 minutes covered with plastic wrap or a damp paper or kitchen towel
- Cut the dough into 6 or 8 pieces (depending on how large you want the fried bakes to be)
- Roll them into balls and place on a clean, well-floured surface. Allow to rest for at least 10 – 15 minutes. “covered”
- Flatten the balls of dough until they are about ¼ inch thick, and 5 -6 inches in diameter using your fingers or a rolling pin
- Add oil in a deep pan to a depth of about two inches over medium heat
- When oil is heated through, start adding the rolled out dough to the hot oil
- Turn dough immediately as it’s added to the oil , as this will help the bake swell or puff up
- Fry in hot oil until both sides are golden brown, about 30 - 45 seconds per side ,turn over once
- Drain on paper towel so as to eliminate some of the grease from the oil.
- Serve with Fried Salt fish or Fried Shark or anything you fancy.
- You can also use self rising flour with great results, follow the same recipe as above with the exception of adding baking powder and salt.
- Store bought Pizza dough can also be used if you don’t want to go through the hassle of kneading and putting dough together, but note it will not be as good as if you made the dough yourself.
- If you are concerned about your health and healthy food, then too much fried foods is not good for you, so I will suggest making and eating this dish at least once every month or two.
- Eat in moderation!