Jamaican Ackee and Saltfish
"Jamaican Ackee and Saltfish – A quintessential Jamaican Breakfast"
Ackee, salt fish, onions, tomatoes, red bell pepper, infused with garlic thyme and hearty spices - creates a tastebud sensation.
It is easy to see why this is Jamaica's National dish.
Make this staple dish:
PREP: 30 MINS
COOK: 15 MINS
SERVES: 3 - 4 People
- ½ pound boneless salted codfish
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or more
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 onions chopped
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 small bell pepper sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper pierced sub cayenne pepper about ½ teaspoons
- 18-20 ounce can ackee, drained
- Soak salt cod fish in water overnight, if needed boil to get rid of excess salt. Set aside.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan. Followed by onions, garlic, thyme, and green onions.
- Sauté for about a minute, stirring occasionally to prevent any burns.
- Followed by tomatoes continue cooking for about 3 minutes then add, hot pepper, white pepper, mix until ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Cook for about 5 minutes or more. Add water as needed
- Finally throw in salt fish, cook for a few minutes then add ackee and cook for another 3 minutes or more - adjust the seasoning to taste. Remove from the heat and let it cool. You may prepare this a day in advance.