Sweet Potato Caribbean Curry
"Delicate green peas, garbanzo beans and tender sweet potato chunks are simmered up in spiced coconut milk"
This lovely dish is served atop creamy polenta to create this cosy and comforting Caribbean curry.
PREP: 5 MINS
COOK: 25 MINS
SERVES: 4 People
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional, omit for a milder version)
- 1-14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet potato, about 1 pound, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. gound turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. fenugreek seed
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1-14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- salt to taste
- Creamy polenta or cooked rice
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped scallions
- Coat the bottom of a medium saucepan with oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add garlic and ginger. Cook 1 minute more, until very fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, sweet potato, cumin, coriander, turmeric, thyme, allspice, fenugreek, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne. Stir a few times, raise heat and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and peas. Allow to cook just until heated throughout, 1-2 minutes more. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide rice or polenta onto plates and top with curry. Sprinkle with cilantro and scallions, then season with a squeeze of lime juice, to taste.